top of page


911 Silent Call Procedure

The silent call procedure helps people with certain disabilities or concerns to communicate their needs. This method works using a touch-tone, landline telephone, or a cell phone.  Here’s how to use it:


  • Call 911

  • When the dispatcher answers, use your telephone’s keypad to “talk” to the dispatcher.

  • Press 1 if you need police. Press 2 for fire. Press 3 for an ambulance.

  • If the dispatcher asks you questions:

  • Press 4 for “yes”. Press 5 for “no”.


If a Massachusetts dispatcher answers a 911 call and it is silent, they will go through these steps to see if there is a response. You do not have to remember the procedure; they will ask you while on the telephone. 


AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.  Read more or join!

Administration for Community Living

The Administration for Community Living was created around the fundamental principle that older adults and people of all ages with disabilities should be able to live where they choose, with the people they choose, and with the ability to participate fully in their communities.   Learn more.

Aging Research

The Alliance for Aging Research is dedicated to accelerating the pace of scientific discoveries and their application to vastly improve the universal human experience of aging and health.  Read more. 


Or check out MIT's AgeLab, a multidisciplinary research program that works with business, government, and NGOs to improve the quality of life of older people and those who care for them. 

Caregiver Support Program for Families

This State of Mass. program can help you care for a member of your family. A Caregiver Specialist will create a plan and give you tips and support.

Learn more.

Energy and Utility Assistance

Cold Relief Heatline


For general inquiries, call 1-800-632-8175. See below to find out where to apply for Fuel Assistance (LIHEAP), Weatherization (WAP), and the Heating System Repair and Replacement Program (HEARTWAP).


ABCD Fuel Assistance (LIHEAP): November 1, 2021 - May 12, 2023

ABCD offers the LIHEAP program which can provide help paying for fuel bills for low-income individuals. Visit for General Information. For any existing participants (people who applied last season), ABCD will begin mailing out applications by the end of the September. For first time applicants, ABCD asks that you please call 781-322-6284 starting, October 1, where they will take applications over the phone. NEW this year an online portal available for clients that wish to apply online, visit to apply.  Income Guidelines: 1 person $40,951 and 2 person $53,551. Contact Social Worker at 781-721-7136 with additional questions or to learn more about the full list of programs offered by ABCD or for more detailed instructions on how to access the online portal.

Weatherization (WAP) and the Heating System Repair and Replacement Program (HEARTWAP)

The Weatherization Assistance Program is a year-round program funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) which serves LIHEAP-eligible households by providing energy efficiency services designed to help reduce home heating bills. Typical work includes air sealing, attic and/or sidewall insulation, weather stripping, and minor repairs associated with the weatherization work.  For more information call 617-884-6130 or visit

Warming Shelters during the winter - In the event you have no heat and need a warm place to shelter.

The following warming shelters are available in Middlesex County:


Malden Warming Shelter, 529 Eastern Ave, Malden, MA 02148, 781-324-4230,


Somerville Homeless Coalition, 1 Davis Square, Somerville, MA 02144, 617-623-6111,


St. Francis House (Boston) 39 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116, 617-542-4211, Email:

Improving Energy Usage


MassSave offers free in-home assessments to identify your home’s energy performance, reduce your energy bills, and make your home more comfortable. Call 866-527-SAVE (7283) to schedule your no-cost Home Energy Assessment with a Mass Save Energy Specialist or see

National Grid
To qualify for a free gas energy assessment, your household income must meet eligibility requirements and your utility bill must be in your name. Application and income guidelines available online at

Eversource Discount Rate Program

To qualify for a free electric energy evaluation, your household income must meet eligibility requirements and your utility bill must be in your name. Application and income guidelines available online at

Arrearage Forgiveness

National Grid and Eversource also offer arrearage forgiveness programs where eligible clients may have their utility debt forgiven while adhering to a structured payment plan. NGRDI: 1-800-233-5325, EVERSOURCE: 866-315-2496.


Good Neighbor Energy Fund

To be eligible to receive energy assistance through The Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund, you must be a Massachusetts resident who, because of temporary financial difficulty, cannot meet a month's energy expense and is not eligible for state or federal energy assistance. For more information about eligibility requirements, please call 1-800-334-3047, 339-502-5900 or visit


The Oil Heat Program offers free heating oil to people in financial need. Each eligible household is allowed a one-time delivery per heating season of 100 gallons of home heating oil for free. Call 1-877-JOE-4-OIL to request an application.


Winchester Senior Energy Grants

For Winchester Residents who own and occupy their home, are 60 years of age, and whose income does not exceed $70,000 for individual and $80,000 for couple could be eligible, after completing an energy audit by MassSave, for a grant amount per project for up to $800 to make improvements on their homes energy efficiency. These grants, which are subsidized by the federal government and some local utilities, offer financial assistance as well as home improvements, new appliances, and other help for eligible clients – all at no cost. Call 781-721-4759 for details.

Utility Protection Information


There are utility protections for specific people such as the Elderly, seriously ill, infants.  Included are the Cromwell Waiver and Winter Moratorium. When facing termination of heating-related utility services, households can protect themselves if they meet certain conditions or criteria. Please contact your utility company for full details.

Housing and Mortgages

A senior is generally defined as a person of age 62 or above who receives either a pension or Social Security payments.   Check out Home Mortgage and Financial Planning Guide for Seniors.  And here is another resource for housing and mortgages.

My Senior Center

The Jenks Center uses the MySeniorCenter platform to support programming and activities.  Have you registered yet?  In addition to registration features, you can also obtain a parking permit to use any of the 26 designated Jenks Center parking spaces, available on a first-come, first-served basis.  Download and print the form and bring in at your next visit.

Property Tax Relief


The Winchester Council on Aging works with town departments to offer seniors (60 years or older) the opportunity to work 125 hours in designated Town departments to earn $1,500 off of their annual property taxes. To qualify for participation in this unique program, a resident need to:

  • own your home in Winchester.

  • have a maximum income of no more than $60,000 for an individual or $91,000 for a couple.

  • your house is assessed for no more than $1,076,250.

Participants generally enjoy the opportunity to get out of the house and engage in meaningful work in exchange for property tax relief. For more information, contact Phillip Beltz, Director, at 781-721- 7136.

Seasonal Reminders



Everyone, seniors especially, should take extra care to keep cool and hydrated during hot, humid days.  If you believe you, or anyone you are with, is experiencing a heat-related medical emergency, promptly call 911, and if possible, move to a cooler place.  Here are a few tips for enjoying the summer weather while keeping comfortable and safe:

– Wear light colors and light materials such as linen and cotton. 
– Wear loose fitting clothing. 
– Wear a wide-brimmed hat for protection.

– Stay indoors during extremely hot weather. 
– Lower shades and blinds  to keep sun from heating up your home.
– Use a fan to keep air circulating.
– If you do not have air conditioning in your home, go to a cool place if possible, such as mall, senior center, pool, etc.


– Wear sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. 
– Wear a wide-brimmed hat or take an umbrella to block the sun. 
– Schedule outdoor activities before 10 a.m. or after 6 p.m. and take frequent breaks in shaded areas.
– Take your time. Avoid strenuous activity and long walks. 
– The best liquid to drink during hot, humid days is water. Drink plenty of water, even if you are not thirsty, in order to stay hydrated. 
– Avoid alcoholic beverages and caffeinated drinks that will dehydrate your body. 
– Drink sports drinks that have the added minerals that your body loses when it sweats.

– Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is another way to keep hydrated.

For further questions or concerns, please contact the Jenks Center Nurse.


Senior Planet

Great website for travel, interesting articles and enjoying this phase of life.  Check it out.

SHINE (Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone)

SHINE is an acronym for “Serving the Health Needs of Elders.” SHINE Counselors are volunteers who provide information, counseling, and assistance regarding health insurance and health benefit options. Our counselor understands the nuances of health insurance and is here to help seniors maneuver through the health insurance system.  Appointments required.

Social Security

Access information and tools for Social Security and Medicare planning.  Learn more.

State Legislators

Contact information for Winchester State Legislators:

Senator Jason Lewis (Precincts 1, 2, 3 and 8)
State House, Room 511B
Phone: 617-722-1206

Office Hours: 2nd Friday of each month, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. at the Winchester Public Library


Senator Patricia Jehlen (Precincts 4, 5, 6 and 7)
State House, Room 424
Phone: 617-722-1578


Representative Michael S. Day
State House, Room 448
Phone: 617-722-2582

Travel Health

The retirement years can be an exciting time to see the world, with travel easier and safer than ever before. With a little planning and some caution, seniors can safely visit almost any destination.  Check out the CDC's guide to travel health for seniors.

Travel Insurance


While many seniors enjoy traveling as they get older because they have newly freed-up time, it can get more complicated than traveling when you’re younger. As an older traveler, you may fall victim to thieves, or your health may impede your plans. It’s important to consider travel insurance.

Additional Resources

The EnKa Pantry is open to individuals and families living in Winchester who lack adequate financial resources to meet basic needs. Use of the EnKa Pantry is limited to once monthly and does not prohibit individuals or families from visiting the Council for Social Concern food pantry. If you have any questions or would like to arrange a visit (Sundays and Mondays by appointment only), call (781)369.5844 or A large bag of assorted candy will be given out at appointments throughout the month of October. Transportation is available upon request.

The Woburn Council on Social Concern is a charitable, community-based agency responding to the basic needs of people of all ages, providing early childhood ed. & care, helping individuals develop their potential, creating positive family & comm. relationships & fostering respect for diversity. (781) 935-6495. Contact for information on the pantry.Transportation is available upon request.

Minuteman Senior Services Provides home delivered meals through their Meals on Wheels Program as well as an assortment of other programs and resources to help seniors age in place independently as well as support programs for caregiving. Contact minuteman through their website or by calling  (781)272-7177 information and referral line for more information.

property tax
caregiver support
senior planet
travel health
travel insurance
bottom of page